Author Topic: Locationless Caches  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Gackt

• ABH Walker
  • GeoVampire
    • View Profile
    • about.me
Locationless Caches
« on: July 07, 2018, 02:04:54 pm »
Locationless Caches

Terracaching LC - Coordinate Palindromes

What is a Locationless Cache?
A Locationless Cache (LC), typically challenges you to find a particular object and log your find by posting the coordinates.

Some LCs require you do a little more to claim your find, for example post a photograph of yourself, or of your GPSr, at the location to help prove you physically visited the location.

To add an extra element of difficulty to obtain a find, some COs include an additional twist to the 'little extra'. An example could be "Find a street sign with a colour in the name, e.g. Caches Green. Take a photo of yourself by the street sign wearing an item of clothing of the same colour." ...some include much harder challenges.

What I like about Locationless Caches
I was a relatively latecomer to Geocaching, discovering the activity ten years to the month after the first ever one was placed. As with many people, after just a few finds it became vey addictive. Every time that I found myself visiting an out of town location I would look up Geocaches to hunt down.

After a few months of playing this game I began to learn of other geocaching hosting sites, some of which hosted related games, for example gpsgames.org. Some had LCs listed, and this became an additional work lunchtime activity for me when there were no new physical caches close by to hunt down.

LCs, as Geocaching did near the start for me, now form part of my way of life. If I am visiting a new area I will check the listings to see if I can grab a find that I ordinarily would not be able to near home. I am also mindful of the vast amount of listings I have perused, and have a different way of looking at my surroundings to see if I can spot criteria for logging an LC whilst out and about my normal daily life. Like Geocaching, Locationless Caching has taken me to places, shown me things, and made me do things I would maybe of never have seen or done, otherwise.

Terracaching LC - Have you hugged your body artist lately?

Where can I find Locationless Caches to go hunt?
LCs have not been a type of cache available on geocaching.com for many years. You will need look at other hosting sites to join in this fun activity. Here are a few:

waymarking.com – Groundspeak’s site dedicated just to LCs. You can log in using your existing geocaching.com account.

terracaching.com – Over 1000 active and mostly unique LCs available to hunt, as well as other hosted cache types like Traditionals and Cybers. They a have points systems to add an additional element of fun and to help keep general quality high, and leaderboards.

geocaching.com.au – Australia’s own all-in-one cache listing site, but available to the world to play. In amongst its plethora of hosted cache types are hundreds of LCs of varying quality.

Want to try finding a Locationless Cache right now?
We have one hosted right HERE, so you can start straight away without leaving this site  :)

If you haven't tried Locationless Caching before, I recommend you do give it a try. Let us know how you get on below :)

Have fun!
V Gackt V

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Gackt

• ABH Walker
  • GeoVampire
    • View Profile
    • about.me
Re: Locationless Caches
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:05:05 pm »
 Over the past month I have managed to clock up a few more Locationless finds on TC, bringing my position on their LC leaderboard back up to number 18, yay!  ;D

Most of the finds have been fun to do, and some of them I have travelled far (for me) to get the required photos. One of the closest was a visit to Seven Springs this evening to grab a photo of a 'Spring with a plaque' to log Springing to life...

A further away adventure took me to Turville, where I hiked up the hill to to take photos of the windmill which featured in the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Photographing that place actually got me finds on a few LCs, not just including 'Buildings from the movies', 'Old Green Energy', and 'Big Wind Catchers...Windmills'.

Whilst up on the hill I also found a rare UK Terracaching traditional cache, and a traditional Geocaching.com cache... well it would of been rude of me not to as I was stood just a few metres from it enjoying the view. GMS D 01... notice I follow in the footsteps of other CW members finding that one, including our Griff Grof  :D

The same day as the above finds, I headed a few miles down the road to visit the Hell Fire caves and the Mausoleum up on the hill above them. The caves were great fun, just my type of thing. And the Mausoleum got me a second find on the 'Buildings from the movies' LC, as it has been used in many movies, and TV programs. The most memorable one to me was the Hammer Horror movie 'To the Devil a Daughter'.

Do let know if you have had a go at Locationless Caching, and what your favourite finds have been...
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Gackt

• ABH Walker
  • GeoVampire
    • View Profile
    • about.me
Re: Locationless Caches
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 01:15:27 pm »
It’s been a while since I checked in, and so I thought I’d share a few of the many LCs I’ve logged over past months. There have been so many finds to go through, enough in fact to push me up from 18th overall on the leaderboard on one of my previous posts to 7th!  :)

The main reason for posting though is to re-highlight this alternative type of caching, which is a safer form of caching which could be partaken in during the Corvid-19 pandemic as there is quite often no reason to touch an object, and with some LCs you can even complete from your own garden or even from inside your home similarly to Cyber Caches which we have recently highlighted on twitter.

Westonbirt Arboretum was a source of a few LC finds for me including hunting down some particular varieties notably a Diospyros virginiana and a Koelreuteria paniculate. But the simplest, and arguably the most fun to complete was Treehugger...

Ok, so I touched an object for that one  :D

In August I visited a well known and quite often advertised at the moment TV studio for TV Studio Tour...

One that took a little planning was Featured Animals (or Animal Parts) LC Style. First you need to identify a feature on a topo or OS type map that is named after an animal or animal part and take a screen shot/photo of the map showing it. I decided upon Lion Rock at Cheddar...

You then have to visit the location to take a photo of the actual feature along with your GPSr and post both pictures in your found it log...

I have completed many very simple LCs too. Whilst the idea of LCs, just like traditional Geocaching, is to get you out and about and visit interesting locations, a few LCs are able to be completed without travelling. One such I found whilst at a farm park was Bunny wabbit...

I did actually travel a few miles out to a farm park where I took the photo to log that one, but the requirements are only to photograph a live rabbit and so could quite easily be logged from home for some people. In fact a few have already.

Another LC which can be logged from home, and I did so, was Good Luck! The object to log a find for that LC is a four-leaf clover. The example I found in my garden was a bit nibbled did the job...

If you’re looking for something from home to do during the lockdown, then why not take a re-look at Locationless Caching. See the first post in this thread for some websites that host LCs.
Like Like x 2 View List

CacheWalker - for those who love geocaching and walking
© 2012-2021 CacheWalker

Header Image: Trees © Griff Grof